Something I have been wondering about recently is should software be free (as in beer). Well perhaps not totally free, but free for non-commercial use. I think this would have several advantages. My thoughts go along the following lines:
- People do not want to pay for software for their personal use.
- People do not have a problem pirating software for their personal use.
- It is not worth FAST pursuing individuals, the cost versus benefit is too low.
Of course this does not really matter if you are making software for profit, you need to make living, why would you give the software away. I can think of a few advantages:
- Increase the number of people who can use your software.
- Improved security, pirated software is often infected with viruses and malware. Since you no longer pirate software for your own use this is a much smaller problem.
- Improved security as people do not use alternative tools from the web that have a dubious pedigree.
- People get free use of software that helps them live their lives.
Well that is my thought for the day.